About The Farm
Frog Eyes Wasabi produces extremely high quality, flavorful, authentic, water-grown wasabi. Our wasabi are year-round edible greens. Non-GMO and gluten-free.
We are the only commercial wasabi grower in Oregon. Our farm is located on the Oregon Coast where the climate is optimal for wasabi cultivation. It is humid, constantly cool and is blessed with pristine forest streams. With this ambient climate and our proven growing methodology, we replicate the cool alpine stream environment of the Japanese mountains, which is wasabi’s natural habitat. Using the water-grown method, Frog Eyes Wasabi produces a superior product to most Asian-imported wasabi and of equal quality to the highest-grade product grown in Japan. Wasabia Japonica, Daruma variety.
How to Manage Your Plants
Wasabi grows naturally in the wet, shaded banks of cold mountain streams on the islands of Japan. In your own garden, your plant will do the best in full shade in temperatures between 50-60 degrees F. Temperatures above 40 degrees can cause heat damage and leave your plant vulnerable to pests and disease. Temperatures below 40 degrees can slow growth (below 27 degrees can kill them.)
Wasabi plants can grow to 24 inches in height, so leave plenty of room for them to grow. Your plant will need a well-drained location. Prune regularly. (Detailed directions included.)
IMPORTANT: Order before Fridays 12 pm Pacific Standard Time (PST) for shipping the following WEDNESDAY. If you order AFTER 12 PM Friday, your plants will be harvested and shipped out on the 2nd Wednesday after you order. We package the roots in thermal lining with ice packs in order to prevent transplant shock. We harvest, package, and ship only once per week to ensure your wasabi starts are fresh!
- EASY TO GROW INDOORS OR OUT: Plant starts – NOT seeds. Perennials. Best in the garden or indoor with shade or low light. 5 STARTER PLANTS. (No pots or soil.)
- AS SEEN ON IRON CHEF & SEATTLE KITCHEN: Highlighted in several national food magazines, 200+ restaurants, and used by some of the world’s finest chefs. Highest-grade Japanese wasabi.
- SPECIAL INGREDIENTS MAKE SPECIAL DISHES: Edible leaves and stems year-round. Stems contain more heat than leaves. Use for salads, juicing, smoothies, sautéing, wasabi sushi, sauces.
- NOT FAKE WASABI: Grow your own fresh wasabi and (not dyed horseradish) for the highest concentration of nutrients. Harvest leaves and stems, grate the root, and eat. (Pet-friendly too.)
- FRESHLY GROWN IN THE USA (OREGON): Shipments go out once a week. ORDER BEFORE FRIDAY 12 pm Pacific Standard Time (PST) for plant starts to ship the following Wednesday.